• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPT Integeumentary coding please help

I am in the process of studying for my exam. I have a case I am trying to code and cant wrap my brain around it. I was hoping someone can give me some help with this? I think the skin is going to be my weak point and death of me!

Procedure: Dysplastic nevus when I looked this up in index this term is no where to be found. Its not under the skin section either in the index. After googling it I determined this is skin cancer. Of course in the exam you don't have access to google so how would you go about figuring this out? Also no where in the case does it state its malignant or benign? If it doesn't state is there a guideline to pick one?

Also when coding for skin surgery do you usually code for incision, excision, and graft? Thank you for your help. If you have any tips on coding cases for this system it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Micah

Paul A

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
HCC Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
PPM Physicians Practice Management
If you look up Nevus > Dysplastic it directs you to see Neoplasm > Benign > Skin. That's how you will know is a benign neoplasm. Then if it doesn't specify a site you can go with Skin NOS on the neoplasm table which is D23.9 - Other benign neoplasm of skin, unspecified

The exam will give you 4 possible answers which you look up by code number. You wont be using the index much if it all ( I only used it to help for Terminology and Anatomy)

Incision is a component of procedures so you wont code separately in most circumestnces. If its in Incision and Drainage where the make an incision and squeeze out fluid its specific incision codes based on whats being drained

Excision involves doing a full thickness removal. Example would be Neoplasm or cyst, they make incision in the skin but with the intent of full removing what they are excising including margins and sometimes the semi healthy skin below

Hi Paul thank you so much for taking the time for your response. Its very much appreciated. That clarifies a lot. How do you know to do this? Is this just something you know and learn to do the more you do it? Thanks again its so nice to have kind people who take the time in there busy day to help each other.

Happy coding
Micah

Paul A

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
HCC Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
PPM Physicians Practice Management
Its because I'm a genius (Kidding). I learn by repetition so they more I read about something the more is sticks in my head. I probably spent more time studying the integumentary than any other section in CPT and thanks to Alicia I'm obsessed with Dr Pimple Popper and other physician on youtube. so I've seen many of the surgeries in the 10000 series.