• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Hospital observation

jberg

I have a case where Dr A admits a patient to hospital observation but calls for a consult by the Pediatrician, Dr. B who comes and does documentation and then discharges the patient the next day. The patient's insurance does not recognize consult codes. The patient was in observation for 12 hours. Can I code for both doctors. Dr. A did do dictation on the H & P for the admit and Dr. B has dictation on his consult. I did do the discharge code for the discharge for Dr. B
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You know I think you can but I wanted to get our CIC Tammy in on this as she is also an CPC-H. With her auditing experience I think she can give us the best answer and they "whys".

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Tammy was out a couple days but sent this to me via e-mail to answer your question:

You didn't mention the specialty of Dr A, but I will assume it isn't Peds. Yes, you can bill for the admit to OBSV for Dr A, and bill an OUTPT visit code for Dr B since the patients insurance doesn't recognize consult codes. Discharges can only be billed by the admitting Dr.(or someone in his/her practice with the same specialty and tax ID.)

Hope this helps!
Tammy