• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Can we look through the index and tabular while taking the actual CPC exam?

Audra Weiker

I am taking my CPC in October. In preparation I have tabbed my manuals and have done the bubble and highlighting techniques. I look at the answers first before tackling the scenarios, and apply the process of elimination - "slashing the trash", as some call it. I do the timed exams to help me gear up for the actual exam, and at this point in time am only getting half right. Watching your videos, you mention that it is our job to find the best possible answer. My question is, with only 2.5 minutes per question, and approximately 1 hour per column, do we have time to look up the codes properly (index, then tabular) in the given 5 hours and 40 minutes for the exam? I ask this because this is how I look stuff up -index, followed by tabular.

I also have a problem with thinking things through too much, even though you have said that is a problem in one of your videos. Please help.

Thank you,

Audra

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
In general, for the CPC exam, you will not have the time to look up every code in the Index first. Learn to compare and contrast the codes, and I think you will fare better on the exam. ALso, spend time getting intimate with the guidelines. That is what the test is about, really.

If you are familiar with the guidelines and some common codes you will be able to narrow down the answer choices and just look up the codes you need to. For example, if you see the same ICD9 code listed twice in an answer choice, you know that answer is wrong because it violates a guideline. If you are familiar with burn codes, you may be able to eliminate an answer choice because you spot an extent code that is clearly out of whack for your scenario. Or maybe a repeated subcategory code for burns... and you know that violates a guideline. So try to train yourself to notice the easy wrong answers.

Most of the time you can just compare on contrast the codes, as often the CPT codes are going to be on the same page. If, for example, you are coding for a VBAC delivery , most likely the codes in all the answer choices are going to be listed in the tabular within a page or two of each other. Because you have bubble and highlighted your book it is going to easier, faster, to find the specific code for, say, "VBAC including postpartum care" by just looking at the code choices, going to a likely code for that in the tabular. Once you are in the tabular, you are familiar enough with the layout that even if you guessed wrong on which code to find at first in the tabular, you can quickly move to the VBAC section and pick out the correct code. So this saves going to the index first and for most people will be the most expedient way to find the correct answer choice.

I will say that for ICD-10 I have better success using the index first, maybe because I can more quickly scan the index than I can the tabular. ICD10 has so many codes for very similar conditions and it is easy to get loss in the tabular and not notice that you are in the (slightly, but definitely) wrong subcategory or "sub-subcategory". I used the ICD10 index a lot when I took the proficiency assessment. But I still kept my eye out for answer choices that I could easily eliminate by knowing the guidelines.

Hope this helps!